Vanjaram Fry or Seer Fish Fry is a delicacy and it is consumed normally along with rice as a side dish. People prefer seer fish as it has less bones and it is commonly served in restaurants. Some people enjoy eating fried fish as snacks also. Any other kind of big fish can also be cooked the same way as given below:
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Seer Fish ( sliced and cleaned) – 500 grams
- Chili Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – o.5 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Tomato – 1 no (approximate 50 grams)
- Oil (any) – 1 cup (200 ml)
Squeeze the tomato and take the pulp. Mix the pulp with the chili powder, t. powder and salt together to make a paste. Smear the fish pieces with the paste evenly and marinate the fish for a minimum of half an hour. Take a frying pan (tawa) with oil and keep it over moderate flame. Fry the pieces 2 or 3 at a time and gently turn it to the other side when it turns golden yellow. Fry well the fish pieces on both sides. Drain the excess oil and serve hot with rice.
- Lime juice can be substituted for tomato.
- To get a different flavor and taste you can add 0.5 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste to the chili paste.